American Academy of Sports Dietitians and Nutritionists
Tired of yo-yo dieting? Tired of working so hard to take weight off of your body, only to gain it back? Tired of starving yourself and still not taking weight off? Tired of eating "diet" food? Tired of feeling run down, having no energy? Are you just tired???
Let me share a secret with you....
DIETS DO NOT WORK!
All diets are a big fat lie. The diet industry is a $40 billion industry with no long-tern return on the investment. Despite all the money spent yearly on dieting, most people who participate in weight-loss programs “regain about one-third of the weight lost during the next year and are typically back to baseline in three to five years,” (The New England Journal of Medicine 2006). Furthermore, 35.9% of Americans over the age of 20 are obese, and 33.3% of Americans over the age of 20 are overweight. According to researchers, if this number continues to grow, about 42% of Americans may end up obese by 2030.
Dieting doesn’t work for many reasons:
• First, no one can sacrifice forever. Caloric restriction, in and of itself, can lead to binge-eating episodes.
• Second, low calorie diets produce tired and cranky people.
• Third, low-calorie diets force the body to utilize lean muscle as an energy source – hence fat burning machinery is lost. The scale may go down but is destined to go right back up when food restriction ends due to loss of lean muscle. Loss of lean muscle equates to a reduction in basal metabolic rate. Hence the body uses less calories to sustain life.
• Fourth, when the lost weight is regained – it’s all fat.
• The only known method of permanent weight loss is to fuel the body properly so that muscle loss does not occur.
So why doesn’t dieting work?
All diets look at scale weight. Weight does not determine size.
You can think of a baseball as muscle and a beach ball as fat. Both objects weigh the same – 4 ounces. As you can see they are very different in size. The only way to become the “baseball” is to fuel the body properly through adequate caloric intake and exercise. A healthy eating plan is the answer – not dieting. As a Nutrition Specialist, I can help you with both an exercise program and a healthy eating plan.
$150 - 6 one hour visits plus customized meal plan
$25 - one hour follow up appointments
CALL OR EMAIL TO SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT: